For educators looking for high-quality content to keep students engaged in their virtual accounting and finance classes this fall, IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants) offers many resources to support this effort.
The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®), for example, offers IMA educator members access to more than 150 peer-reviewed case studies and associated teaching notes. IECJ cases (free to IMA academic members and available to share at no additional charge on homework platforms for student use) take learning beyond mere “number-crunching” exercises to require interpretation of data in a decision-making context. Best of all, the cases are listed on a searchable Excel database, enabling users to search by keyword. Cases are also listed by length to determine what would best suit your class format. Teaching notes are available exclusively to IMA academic members and can be accessed via the myIMA Network (IMA member login required).
Other resources for classroom projects and assignments include:
- CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) Exam Content – IMA offers free sample CMA exam questions available in PDF format. Questions can be copied and included in homework, quizzes, and exams. For more information, reach out directly to Mary Patterson (email@example.com) or Tyler Skelton (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Count Me In® podcasts – IMA’s podcast series, Count Me In, offers the latest perspectives on all things affecting the accounting and finance world, as told by the industry experts in the field. Topics include technology and data analytics, leadership and career development, and more.
- Strategic Finance magazine – IMA’s award-winning publication keeps students and educators current with the latest developments in management accounting. Students can be encouraged to read and discuss articles via an online chat or a homework assignment. www.sfmagazine.com
- Statements on Management Accounting (SMAs) and whitepapers – SMAs and whitepapers present the views of IMA regarding management accounting and financial management issues. IMA has published SMAs and whitepapers on a variety of topics including risk management, Big Data, and more. Visit IMA's website for more information.
- Recorded webinars – IMA sponsors free monthly webinars as part of its Inside Talk series and archived versions are available on the webinars section of the IMA website. Topics include strategy, planning and performance, technology and analytics, leadership, and more.
And check out these other opportunities that IMA offers for Academic members and their students:
- CMA Scholarships – IMA offers CMA Scholarships for top students who are interested in pursuing CMA certification. Faculty can nominate up to 10 students per college/university per academic year for this scholarship, which allows students to study for and take the exam at no cost. The savings are approximately $1,000 per student.
- Campus Influencer Program – Educators can arrange for a local IMA professional to virtually speak to students about careers in management accounting, IMA, and the CMA exam. Campus Influencers are successful IMA business professionals who are eager to share their experiences and insights. (See related story in this issue)
- IMA Student Campus Ambassadors – This offers a great leadership opportunity for students to represent IMA on campus.
Many of these resources were discussed during a recent IMA Faculty Friday webinar, held on July 31 and titled “Pivot to Virtual: Turn-Key Content for the Classroom,” a recorded version of which (not eligible for CPE credit) is available on the IMA website.Please contact Jodi Ryan, CAE, IMA director of member engagement, at email@example.com with your ideas on other ways IMA can support you.