The research team at IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants) is focused on delivering content on critical topics important to the future of the profession and the world. The following are two recent initiatives on very timely subjects:
COVID-19 Call for Proposals
Recently, the IMA Research Foundation (IRF) held a special Call for Proposals on the topic of COVID-19. Of the 36 proposals from around the world that were submitted, seven were selected to receive funding, for a total of more than $120,000. Congratulations to the following:
- “Corporate Governance Response to Concurrent Internal and External Risk,” Brant E. Christensen, Dipankar Ghosh, and Deonette Lambert (University of Oklahoma) ($25,000)
- “Rolling with the Punches: Improving Business Resilience and Decision Making Through Advanced Information Technology,” Shirley J. Daniel and Yuangzhang Xiao (University of Hawaii at Manoa) and Ting-Tsen Yeh (Louisiana State University) ($24,500)
- “Revenue Management by the U.S. Commercial Banks During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Nancy Seelye (First Financial Bank, Ohio, and Indiana Wesleyan University) and Brian Routh (Meredith College) ($24,500)
- “COVID-19 and SME Revenue Management,” Jodi Moll and Ogan Yigitbasioglu (both at Queensland University of Technology, Australia) ($15,000)
- “COVID-19 Motivated Changes to Executive Compensation and Incentives,” Mary Ellen Carter (Boston College), Luann Lynch (University of Virginia), and Xiaoxia Peng (University of Utah) ($14,500)
- “Development of Cost-Deployment-Based Metrics for the Measurement of Financial Impact of ISO 14001 Implementation,” Tom G. Geurts (Bucknell University) and Beate Klingenberg (The International Institute Lorenzo de’ Medici, Florence, Italy) ($10,000)
- “COVID-19 and Abnormal Excess Capacity for Manufacturers: Impact on Inventory Valuations and the Adequacy of SFAS 151 Disclosure in 2020 Financial Statements,” Benjamin P. Foster (University of Louisville) ($8,000)
Commented Kip Krumwiede, Ph.D., CMA, CSCA, CPA, IMA’s director of research, “COVID-19 has impacted every facet of management accounting, with both short and long-term effects that are unprecedented and transformative. As such, the academic community plays a critical role in identifying how COVID is influencing critical organizational functions like corporate governance, revenue management, supply chain management, digital transformation, and more. The IMA Research Foundation is pleased to provide financial support to these outstanding educators and their work, which will help identify and solve some of the challenges the profession faces in these difficult times and beyond.”
The IRF is dedicated to funding relevant, thought-provoking research that furthers the knowledge and scope of accounting and financial management globally. In the last 10 years, it has awarded more than $1.1 million in research grants to academics and doctoral students.
For more information on IRF’s ongoing grant programs, please go to www.imanet.org/educators/research-foundation.
Data Analytics/Visualization Case Writing Competition
The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®) is seeking submissions for a new data analytics/visualization case writing competition. Cases must include a data set and cover any area appropriate for management accounting-related courses. Cash prizes ($3,000 for first, $2,000 for second, and $1,000 for third) will be awarded. Visit the IMA website for full details.
Submitted cases should have been used in a classroom setting to provide evidence of efficacy. In addition, separate and complete Teaching Notes must also be submitted concurrently with the case. Cases reflecting real-world situations are preferred but not required.
The deadline for submitting a case is June 30, 2021, and submissions must meet all IECJ editorial guidelines. Winners will be announced by July 30, 2021.
Visit the IMA website to learn more about getting published in the IECJ.
For additional information about this competition (or the COVID-19 research proposals), please contact Kip Krumwiede at email@example.com.