|Name:||Ngo Huy Loc|
|Company:||CJ (CheilJedang) Corporation|
|Title:||Head of Finance Accounting|
|Location:||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam|
How did you first come across the CMA and why did you decide to pursue it?
After graduating from university, I have worked as a leader of the accounting department at multinational companies (MNCs) in Vietnam for more than 16 years. It had always been my goal to serve as a senior accounting leader at a top MNC. To achieve this goal, I decided to study management accounting and pursue the CMA for several reasons, most importantly because it was a valuable international certificate granted by IMA, a prestigious organization around the world. It was noticeable to me that the CMA is increasingly popular and known in more than 140 countries. I believe it gives me the chance to compete successfully with fellow professionals from all over the world.
- In what ways has the CMA made an impact on your career or professional journey?
Becoming a CMA has not only helped me to better understand and apply the knowledge I’ve learned, but it’s also improved my promotion prospects.
Specifically, by preparing for the exam, I immediately gained skills that I was able to apply to my current job. I’ve already saved my organization both money and time by using best practices to improve our current processes. Just as important, I was able to show others that I’m willing to take on top, important positions at my company.
- What is your proudest career moment or milestone as a CMA?
I was very proud when I passed the CMA exam, and I was praised and offered congratulations by the leader of my company. This is because he found out that I had applied my knowledge to improve some of our planning, budgeting, and risk management processes. As a result, I also had an excellent performance review. The CMA has served as the bridge to harmony and understanding between different departments in my company.
- What’s the best piece of advice you would give to CMA hopefuls?
Management accounting is becoming more important around the world. In addition to their traditional jobs, management accountants must also be consultants and provide support for top management to make important decisions regarding the business. Studying the CMA is not only good for your qualifications with international employers or head-hunters but it also makes you a more attractive candidate for promotions within your current company.
- For those taking the exam, what study tip(s) can you share?
- It’s best to follow a specific schedule for studying time and make sure you stick to it. For example, studying at least one hour per day for each topic area and doing exercises relating to that area for 30 minutes per day.
- Second, spend your time reading and expanding your external knowledge.
- Third, practice taking multiple tests and becoming proficient in the use of the business analysis calculator.
- If you could have one superpower in the world, what would it be?
I wish I could memorize everything without having to read things over many times. This would help me to accumulate and comprehend knowledge – and help me to teach it to others so they can do their jobs better.
Share YOUR Story
We’d love to hear your CMA story! Please contact Lori Parks, staff writer/editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (201) 474-1536.