Developing Competitive Intelligence Capability
This Statement on Management Accounting (SMA) focuses on demystifying CI, laying out the fundamental elements of creating and sustaining a true CI capability, and driving value throughout the organization.
This SMA will help management accountants and others:
- Understand how competitive intelligence relates to the organization’s goals, strategies, and objectives
- Explain the benefits of implementing a CI process
- Understand the steps required to implement an effective CI program
- Understand the fundamental frameworks of a systematic, formal, and disciplined CI process
- Appreciate the organizational and managerial accounting challenges in implementing new and improved approaches to competitive intelligence; and
Broaden management awareness and obtain support for a CI effort
Management accountants are trained to interpret information to affect management decisions and to audit internal processes for their effectiveness. In turning their attention to CI, they can bring significant value if they focus the audit on the use of intelligence in the decision processes throughout the organization.