Six Renowned Chinese Universities Earn Endorsement by IMA
Beijing, China, March 13, 2017 -- Peking University, the University of International Business and Economics, Central University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Jinan University and South China University of Technology recently announced that their accounting programs have earned endorsement by IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants), one of the largest and most respected associations focused exclusively on advancing the management accounting profession. These six universities are the first group of universities in China to be endorsed in the international management accounting education system. IMA’s Higher Education Endorsement Program initiative recognizes programs that meet high educational standards, preparing students to enter into the profession of management accounting and earn the CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) credential.
The endorsement program involves a substantive assessment of advanced accounting and financial management knowledge in the four areas of financial planning, analysis, control and decision-making support, each of which is increasingly important to satisfying the ever-changing needs of organizations, and therefore became essential knowledge and ability for students of accounting and finance.
The six Chinese universities have joined world leading colleges and universities, including Brigham Young University, Michigan State University, Singapore Management University, Nanyang Technological University, European Business School (EBS), and King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, to earn this distinction. Together they have formed a global network of management accounting education.
These schools have all developed complete systems in terms of a management accounting education system, management accounting education methodology, faculty building and development, teaching materials and education program tracking and feedback, and met relevant requirements of IMA Higher Education Endorsement Program. In particular:
- Peking University’s Environmental Management Accounting program has reached advanced standards in both research and teaching
- The University of International Business and Economics spearheaded the integration of enterprise, academic institute and university in its management accounting teaching
- Central University of Finance and Economics boasts a separate management accounting major and a specialized management accounting teaching and research team
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics is known for its unique approach to the research in the management accounting education system, and has trained a large number of management accounting professionals
- Jinan University has conducted case studies and teaching leveraging the manufacturing center in South China, and has achieved results
- South China University of Technology, as a science and engineering university, makes management accounting education a priority of its accounting education reform, fully utilizing its advantages and making remarkable progress in the development of the subject
“IMA is pleased to welcome the six outstanding Chinese universities to the growing list of schools that support the CMA exam program and have achieved a consistent standard of excellence,” said Raef Lawson, Ph.D., CMA, CPA, CFA, IMA vice president of research and professor-in-residence. “High-quality, up-to-date educational programs that support the current needs of businesses will help future professional management accountants accomplish their career objectives and meet the competency expectations of employers.”
The six Chinese universities have earned endorsement by IMA shows that the management accounting education in China has met the international leading standard. It also fully demonstrates the confidence of Chinese universities in management accounting education and talent development. With the domestic economic transformation and upgrading and the execution of “One Belt One Road” strategy, more the more Chinese enterprises will further implement management accounting, and more Chinese universities will offer courses on management accounting.
About IMA® (Institute of Management Accountants)
IMA®, the association of accountants and financial professionals in business, is one of the largest and most respected associations focused exclusively on advancing the management accounting profession. Globally, IMA supports the profession through research, the CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) program, continuing education, networking, and advocacy of the highest ethical business practices. IMA has a global network of more than 80,000 members in 140 countries and 300 professional and student chapters. Headquartered in Montvale, N.J., USA, IMA provides localized services through its four global regions: The Americas, Asia/Pacific, Europe and Middle East/Africa. For more information about IMA, please visit www.imanet.org.