Peking University, the University of International Business and Economics, Central University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Jinan University, and South China University of Technology recently announced that their accounting programs have earned endorsement by IMA? (Institute of Management Accountants). These six universities are the first group of universities in China to be endorsed in the international management accounting education system. IMA?s Higher Education Endorsement Program initiative recognizes academic programs that meet high educational standards, has adequate faculty resources devoted to the accounting and finance program, and prepares students to enter the management accounting profession and earn the CMA? (Certified Management Accountant) credential.
The Endorsement Program involves a substantive assessment of advanced accounting and financial management knowledge in several core competency areas including financial planning, analysis, control and decision-making support. Each essential area is increasingly important to satisfying the ever-changing needs of businesses and organizations.
The six Chinese schools have joined world-leading colleges and universities, including Brigham Young University, Michigan State University, Singapore Management University, Nanyang Technological University, European Business School (EBS), and King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, to earn this distinction. Together they form a global network of management accounting educational institutions.
These schools have all developed complete systems in terms of management accounting education methodology, faculty building and development, teaching materials and education program tracking and feedback, and met relevant requirements of IMA Higher Education Endorsement Program. In particular:
- Peking University?s Environmental Management Accounting program has reached advanced standards in both research and teaching
- The University of International Business and Economics spearheaded the integration of enterprise, academic institute and university in its management accounting teaching
- Central University of Finance and Economics boasts a separate management accounting major and a specialized management accounting teaching and research team
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics is known for its unique approach to research in the management accounting education system, and has trained a large number of management accounting professionals
- Jinan University has conducted case studies and educational programs leveraging the manufacturing center in South China, and has achieved results
- South China University of Technology, as a science and engineering university, makes management accounting education a priority of its accounting education reform, fully utilizing its advantages and making remarkable progress in the development of the subject
?IMA is pleased to welcome the six outstanding Chinese universities to the growing list of schools that support the CMA exam program and have achieved a consistent standard of excellence,? said Raef Lawson, Ph.D., CMA, CPA, CFA, IMA vice president of research and professor-in-residence. ?High-quality, up-to-date educational programs that support the current needs of businesses will help future professional management accountants accomplish their career objectives and meet the competency expectations of employers.?
The six Chinese universities have earned IMA?s endorsement by demonstrating that their management accounting education program in China has met the international leading standard. It also reinforces the confidence Chinese universities have in the importance of management accounting education and talent development. With the domestic economic transformation and the execution of ?One Belt One Road? strategy, more Chinese enterprises will further implement management accounting; and in turn, more Chinese universities will offer courses on management accounting.
To learn more about the Higher Education Endorsement Program, please visit https://www.imanet.org/educators/higher-education-endorsement-program?ssopc=1.