IMA’s “My CMA” series spotlights valued members of the CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) community. Learn about their journey with the certification—and get tips on advancing your own. This issue’s featured CMA is:
|Kostas Avramiotis, CMA
|Merck Sharp & Dohme
|Senior Financial Analyst
- How did you first come across the CMA and what made you decide to go for it?
When I started my full-time career, I found out that the CMA was a distinguished qualification. I read the curriculum and found it to be very interesting, and that inspired me to proceed with earning the CMA.
- In what ways has CMA made an impact on your career or professional journey?
The CMA had a large impact on my professional journey. First, I gained more confidence because it gives you the idea that you can achieve more in life. Second, it broadens your horizon while discussing case studies for management accounting with other individuals from different countries. Last but not least, the CMA is a critical success factor because it lays the foundation for all different applications of management accounting.
- What is your proudest career moment or milestone as a CMA?
My proudest milestone was when I won the IMA Young Professional Award, where I had the chance to attend the Global Board meeting in Jacksonville, Fla.
- What’s the best piece of advice you would give to CMA hopefuls?
Take the exam early in your professional career.
- For those taking the exam, what study tip(s) can you share?
Practice and solve first all the multiple choice questions that you know. Then, go back to the unanswered ones and tackle them one by one. This will give you a lot of confidence.
- If you could have one superpower in the world, what would it be?
Have wings and fly around the world.
Share YOUR Story
We’d love to hear your CMA story! Please contact Pearl Chen, manager of brand content and storytelling, at email@example.com or (201) 474-1578.