Find answers to common questions about the CMA program.
CMA (Certified Management Accountant) Certification Overview
- Visit imanet.org/cma-certification to apply. You will need to purchase the CMA entrance fee and IMA membership. The application process takes about 10 minutes.
- Register for the exam. You can register for Part 1 and Part 2 in any order or register for both at the same time.
- Prepare to complete certification requirements including submitting your education transcript and work experience. This can be done before or after passing the exam but is required as a final step to become certified.
- Active membership in IMA (Institute of Management Accountants)
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university or a related professional certification
- Complete two continuous years of professional experience in management accounting or financial management. This requirement may be completed prior to or within seven years of passing the examination.
- Passing Parts 1 and 2 of the CMA exam.
For further details, please refer to the CMA Handbook.
The CMA exams are computer-based and administered at hundreds of Prometric Test Centers worldwide. With three testing windows each year, you can sit for an exam at a time and place convenient for you.
If you are enrolled in the CMA program and are ready to sit for the exam, here are the steps:
- Pick your testing window. Testing windows are offered in January/February, May/June, and September/October.
- Register for the exam at www.imaonlinestore.com.
- Receive your authorization number(s) along with further instructions.
- Schedule your exam appointment(s) with Prometric, our testing partner, at www.prometric.com/ICMA.
Taking the CMA Exam
Exams are offered according to the following schedule:
- January and February
- May and June
- September and October
To schedule exam appointments, visit www.prometric.com/ICMA or call (800) 479-6370. To ensure your first choice of date, time, and location, it is best to schedule your appointment at least four weeks in advance. All exam appointments must be scheduled at least 72 hours in advance of the exam date. Once you are registered, you must take the exam part during your assigned testing session. If, for any reason, you are unable to schedule an exam appointment during the assigned testing window, you will need to pay another registration fee. Appointments cannot be rescheduled to another testing window.
Candidates who do not pass the exam will receive a report that indicates their performance on each of the key topic areas in the multiple-choice section as well as their overall performance on the essay section of the exam.
To fulfill your educational requirement, please submit original transcripts (or notarized copies) electronically CMAEducationDocuments@imanet.org. Please email all documents in PDF format and make sure to include your IMA membership number. If you have any questions regarding your educational documents, please email CMAEducationDocuments@imanet.org.
To validate your work credential, you will need to download the CMA Experience Requirement Verification Form.
The completed form can be returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to:
10 Paragon Drive, Suite 1
Montvale, NJ 07645-1759
For further details, please refer to the Education Qualification Section of the CMA Handbook
CMA Fees and Schedules
- If you reschedule or cancel an appointment within 30 days of your appointment date, you will be required to pay a rescheduling fee to Prometric.
- The exam appointment must be cancelled 72 hours (3 days) before the exam date, based on the policy from Prometric.
- Appointments cannot be rescheduled to another testing window.
- To cancel or reschedule an exam appointment, call Prometric at (800) 479-6370 or go to www.prometric.com/ICMA
The CMA Entrance Fee is not refundable.
If you have not scheduled an appointment with Prometric, the examination fee is refundable within 30 days from the time you purchased the exam. A $25 processing fee will be deducted from the refund. We do not offer postponements of exam parts. You must sit in the testing window for which you purchased a registration.
To schedule an exam by phone, find the phone number for your region at www.prometric.com/ICMA. You will need:
- Your CMA Authorization Letter, which provides your authorization number(s).
- The first four letters of your last name and a valid email address.
The CMA Scholarship opportunity can be offered to up to 10 students per school per year who are interested in pursuing CMA certification. This includes both undergraduate and graduate students in accredited accounting or business programs. Multiple faculty members can submit nominations, but the limit is 10 per school, per academic year.
Learn more here.