As 2024 draws near, I’m grateful for the opportunity to share how IMA is stepping up to innovation and finding new ways to address the needs and challenges facing accounting and finance professionals in a digital world. Continuing our commitment to advance the management accounting profession globally, IMA in 2023:
- Developed robust educational products on leading-edge topics such as sustainability reporting, DE&I, cybersecurity, data analytics and visualization, design thinking, and AI. All our educational resources are tied to the IMA Management Accountancy Competency Framework, which outlines the skills essential to the most common accounting and finance roles.
- Conducted groundbreaking research, including participating in a landmark COSO report on achieving internal control over sustainability reporting, as well as authoring reports on design thinking; blockchain and cryptocurrency; and talent retention in the accounting and finance profession.
- Hosted events to bring together members of the accounting and finance community, including, in the U.S., our Women’s Leadership Summit and Student Leadership Conference. Around the world, our events facilitated learning and knowledge sharing, with gatherings at the IMA Accounting & Finance European Conference in Amsterdam, 10th Annual China Conference in Beijing, IMA Academic Summit in Egypt, India Regional Conference in Mumbai, and Middle East Regional Conference in Riyadh, among others.
- Expanded the eligibility criteria for our CSCA® (Certified in Strategy and Competitive Analysis) certification to more than 60 accounting and finance certifications, enabling more qualified professionals to take the exam and gain valuable strategy skills.
- Forged and continued to nurture strategic relationships with global corporate partners, including IBM, Cummins, Johnson & Johnson, Mercedes-Benz, Haier Group, Decathlon, Cargill, Caterpillar, Masco, KLM, Continental Automotive Corporation, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more. By working with these partners to bring the globally respected CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) to their accounting and finance teams, we’re empowering these teams to help drive their organization’s success.
- Launched our FMAA™ (Financial and Managerial Accounting Associate) certification, which offers an innovative opportunity for professionals to acquire essential accounting and finance skills for everyday use in the workplace. The FMAA provides a flexible and practical path for individuals who want to speak the language of business with current and future employers. Registration for the FMAA exam opens in January 2024.
So many of IMA’s accomplishments are made possible thanks to the dedication of our volunteer community—and I’m continually inspired by what our volunteer leaders do to support both IMA and the profession. I look forward to continued collaboration as we work together to make an impact on the global accounting and finance profession.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season and a prosperous, healthy New Year.