Finding Your Voice: A Whistleblower Webinar
IMA Europe and Workiva organized a highly successful webinar on the topic of “Finding Your Voice: The Important Role of Whistleblowers in Fraud Detection and Prevention.” The event was held via Zoom on 12 November and attracted 530 registrants, not just from Europe but around the world.
During the webinar, attendees learned about the important role whistleblowers play in fraud detection and were challenged to think about how to respond when faced with an ethical dilemma. The discussion provided a framework for effective whistleblowing management, best practices, challenges, and lessons learned so far.
Headlining the event was Kelly Richmond Pope, Ph.D., CPA, associate professor at DePaul University, author, filmmaker, and co-founder of Red Flag Mania, Inc. Pope was joined by guest speaker Nathan Mueller, who was convicted for fraud in 2006 for stealing $8.5 million from the Dutch insurance firm ING. Mueller explained how he successfully pulled off his crime and discussed ways finance professionals can prevent a similar disaster. He taught attendees one important lesson: Never share your password with colleagues.
The agenda included opening remarks by Alain Mulder, senior director, IMA Europe operations. Next, Conor O’Kelly, senior director of statutory accounting at Workiva, discussed “Maintaining Trust and Confidence in Financial Statements: The Role of Technology in Preventing Ethics and Conflicts of Interest During the Pandemic.” Following the keynote address by Pope and remarks by Mueller, the event concluded with a session by Mulder on “CFO as Value Creator.”
MVP Webinar on the CMA
On 19 November, experts from Markus Verbeek Praehep (MVP) shared valuable knowledge and expertise to help attendees to pass the CMA® (Certified Management Accountant) exam, including discussing exam content and study tips. During this virtual event, which attracted 45 registrants, IMA leaders also described the evolving role of the management accountant in the Digital Age and how earning the CMA certification can position finance professionals for a more successful career.
The event included a welcome message from Frank Bakker, managing director, MVP Institute of Finance. Next, Alain Mulder provided an overview of the Q3 2020 Global Economic Conditions Survey, followed by a presentation by Grete Buivydaite, IMA business development specialist, who discussed “CMA: Everything You Need to Know.”
At the end of the event, Bakker concluded with the CMA offerings at the MVP Institute of Finance for 2021, including classroom courses, virtual classes, and e-learning opportunities.
Joint IMA/ICV Member Event on Agility and Resilience in Finance
The IMA Switzerland Chapter and ICV Switzerland jointly hosted an online event on agility and resilience in finance. The event, held via Zoom on 13 November, attracted 94 registrants, who were able to engage with speakers and learn how to reshape their business and finance functions with agility and build resilience in times of continuous disruption.
The event was moderated by IMA Switzerland Chapter members Marco Otti and Marion Häfliger and ICV Switzerland members Christian Baumgartner and Astrid Stöhr.
The afternoon featured presentations on:
- “Agility and Controlling” by Marie-Luise Lehmann – Founder of Finance Goes Agile; Head of the work group "Agile Controlling" at ICV
- "Teal Organization: A Human-Oriented Approach to Agility" by Anna Grafstroem Burkhardt – Global Co-Head Biometrics Strategic Operations at Roche
- “Levers of Organizational Resilience” by Prof. Dr. Utz Schäffer – Director of Institute of Management Accounting & Control at WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management
- “Resilience at Work” by Gillian Gil – Global Health Services Operational Lead Switzerland at Johnson & Johnson
- “Race to Build Vaccine Supply Chains,” by Mary Walsh – Senior Director, External Manufacturing Sourcing at The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson; and Kenneth Sabatino – Senior Director New Modalities, Product Localization, Janssen Supply Chain, Johnson & Johnson
The event concluded with networking sessions in breakout rooms.