CMA?s (Certified Management Accountants) seeking to earn their mandatory ethics CPE credits ? and learn about the hottest topics in the profession ? can find everything they?re looking for at IMA??s most popular educational event: the IMA Annual Conference & Expo, to be held in Denver, Colo., on June 17-21, 2017. Visit www.imaconference.org for more information and to register.
This year?s conference, titled ?Elevate Your Perspective,? will give CMAs the opportunity to attend the following six sessions focused exclusively on ethics:
- ?Tough Choices: What Do I Do Now? A Giving Voice to Value Approach to Ethics? ? This hands-on session goes beyond typical ethics topics by emphasizing actions instead of decisions. Using the Giving Voice to Values (GVV) approach to ethics, this discussion focuses on how to support a chosen ethical position, using the example of a fraud perpetrated by one woman for more than 20 years.
- ?Exercise Your Moral Muscle? ? This interactive session is designed to help participants build their ?moral muscle? and learn to better recognize, clarify, speak, and act on personal values when conflicts arise.
- ?Conflict of Interest at Midland Dairy: A Case Study? ? What happens when serving on the board of a nonprofit leads to issues at work? That?s the focus of this session, led by one of the authors of the winning case in the 2016 Carl Menconi Case Writing Competition, who compares and contrasts a corporate conflict of interest policy alongside the IMA Statement of Ethical Professional Practice.
- ?Leader vs. Staff vs. Client View of Ethics? ? This interactive, engaging program explores the varying views of ethics, unethical behavior, and accountability among leaders, staff, and clients. Also discussed is how these viewpoints affect expectations, choices, and outcomes.
- ?Ethical Best Practices: How Do You Stack Up?? ? This session looks at ethical best practices, examining Gallup polls and similar research findings related to employee engagement and ethical perceptions of different industries.
- ?Unlocking the Positive Value of Ethics Using Gamification? ? This preconference workshop uses a gamified approach to explore questions of ethics in a fun, creative, and supportive environment. Participants examine real-life scenarios that illustrate types of ethical dilemmas that may be faced in a work environment. The workshop also explores how business ethics can significantly impact an organization and its stakeholders, including leaders, staff, vendors, and clients. (Note: workshop requires an additional fee)
Keynote speakers for the conference include Daymond John, co-star of ABC?s Shark Tank and CEO of The Shark Group; Tony Byers, Ph.D., global director of diversity & inclusion at Starbucks; Terry Jones, co-founder of Travelocity.com and founding chair/current chair of Kayak.com; and Laurie Brlas, CMA, CPA, former executive VP and CFO of Newmont Mining Corp. For a complete list of speakers, click here.
See video highlights from last year's conference in Las Vegas and follow the conversation on Twitter at #IMA17ACE. For full conference details and registration information, please visit www.imaconference.org.