The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®) is a quarterly, online journal whose mission is to publish for management accounting and related fields:
- Teaching cases
- Research related to case writing or teaching with cases
The case studies in this journal provide an educational resource rich in detail to reflect current problems and complexities characteristic of today's dynamic business environment. It aims to facilitate interaction between financial professionals and educators.
IECJ is listed in the Cabell's Directory of Publishing Opportunities in Accounting.
IECJ Case Writing Competitions
- Carl Menconi Ethics Case Competition: Cases are focused on business ethics, and the winning case is featured in Strategic Finance.
Deadline: January 19
- 2023 IECJ® Call for Interactive Cases Appropriate for Gamification: The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®) is soliciting submissions of cases utilizing interactive and engaging teaching content significant to bolster student engagement and interest in learning.
Deadline: See Overview
- 2023 IECJ® Case Writing Competition Call for Submissions: The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®) invites submissions for the 2023 Case Writing Competition on (1) Social and/or Environmental Sustainability and (2) Data Analytics. Cases may cover either area and should be appropriate for managerial decision settings, consistent with the IMA Management Accounting Competency Framework.
Early Bird Deadline: September 30, 2023
Final Deadline: December 31, 2023
- 2023 MAS/IMA Teaching Case Conference / Call for Cases: The MAS/IMA Teaching Case Conference is requesting case submissions. In addition to cases related to traditional management accounting topics, we are looking for cases on current topics such as Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, DEI, and Sustainability (ESG). In addition, we are seeking case ideas for a special workshop session.
Deadline: July 22, 2023
How can I submit a case for publication?
Case studies jointly authored by academics and practitioners are strongly encouraged. Real-world cases are strongly preferred, but fictional cases, especially those with some basis in practice, will be considered. International submissions are welcome and encouraged.
Case submissions are refereed by members of the IECJ Editorial Advisory and Review Board using a double-blind review process.
First Place ($3,000)
"Society Savings Bank: Small Enough to Indict"
Karen Meyers, JD, MBA, Med – Miami University
Harshini P. Siriwardane, CMA, PhD – Miami UniversityDineth Siriwardane, CFA – Allspring Global Investments
Second Place ($2,000)
"Compensation and Hiring Discrimination and the Accounting Standards: We’ve Already Met Our Quota"
Trish Driskill, PhD, CPA – University of the Incarnate Word
Teresa Harrison, PhD – University of the Incarnate Word
Hannah Nelson, MSA – University of the Incarnate Word
Co-Third Place ($1,000)
"SABMiller plc: The Case for ESG Reporting"
Kristine Brands, PhD, CMA – United States Air Force Academy
Mark Holtzblatt, PhD, CPA – Cleveland State University
"Tech Discounts: Budget Analysis for a Social Enterprise"
Stephanie Dehning Grimm, PhD, CFA – Opus College of Business, University of St. Thomas
Leif Sjöblom, IMD (Switzerland)
Qi “Susie” Duong, PhD, CMA, CPA, CIA, EA (USA)
Jason C. Porter, Washington State University (USA)
Laurie Burney, Baylor University (USA)
Margaret Shackell-Dowell, Ithica College (USA)
Thomas G. Calderon, The University of Akron (USA)
Editorial Advisory and Review Board
- Güler Aras, Yildiz Technical University (Turkey)
- D’Arcy Becker, University of Wisconsin – Whitewater (USA)
- Vince Bruni-Bossio, University of Saskatchewan (Canada)
- Dennis Caplan, University at Albany (USA)
- Peter Clarke, University College Dublin (Ireland)
- Tony Curatola, Drexel University (USA)
- Nicholas Fessler, Western Kentucky University, (USA)
- George Joseph, University of Massachusetts Lowell (USA)
- Suresh Kalagnanam, University of Saskatchewan (Canada)
- William Koprowski (USA)
- Jim Mackey, California State University Sacramento (USA)
- Keith Maki (USA)
- Ella Mae Matsumura, University of Wisconsin – Madison (USA)
- Mark Mishler, University of Michigan (USA)
- Shane Moriarity, Actrix (New Zealand)
- Essam Moustafa, United Arab Emirates University (UAE)
- Neale O’Connor, Moonash University (Malaysia)
- Paolo Perego, Free University of Bolanzo-Bozen (Italy)
- Robert Rankin, Texas A&M University (USA)
- Norman Sheehan, University of Saskatchewan (Canada)
- Gary Spraakman, York University (Canada)
- Teresa Stephenson, University of Alaska Anchorage (USA)
- Marty Stuebs, Baylor University (USA)
- Monte Swain, Brigham Young University (USA)
- Susan Weiss, Rhode Island College (USA)
- Lourdes Ferreira White, University of Baltimore (USA)
- Vanita Yadav, Central Queensland University (AU)
- Randall Young, Texas State University (USA)
- Jidong Zhang, Winona State University (USA)
For questions regarding the IECJ, contact: