The IMA Educational Case Journal (IECJ®) is a quarterly, online journal whose mission is to publish for management accounting and related fields:
- Teaching cases
- Research related to case writing or teaching with cases
The case studies in this journal provide an educational resource rich in detail to reflect current problems and complexities characteristic of today's dynamic business environment. It aims to facilitate interaction between financial professionals and educators.
IECJ is listed in the Cabell's Directory of Publishing Opportunities in Accounting.
IMA offers case writing competitions with cash awards, including:
- 2016 Special IECJ Ethics Case Competition: Cases must be based on real companies or events and relate to an ethical situation. Cases submitted to the competition will concurrently be reviewed for publication in IECJ. Deadline: October 1
- 2016 Carl Menconi Ethics Case Competition: Cases are focused on business ethics, and the winning case is featured in Strategic Finance. Deadline: January 26
- 2016 IMA Case Writing Competition: Cases in any area of management accounting or related fields are invited. Deadline: July 11
- 2017 IMA Call for Short Cases: Short cases in any area of management accounting are invited to be submitted. Those reflecting “real-world” situations are strongly preferred. Deadline: June 30, 2017
2015 IMA Case Writing Competition Winners
First Place Award ($2,000)
“West Coast Equestrian Association” Doug Kalesnikoff, FCPA, FCA, IFA, CFE, University of Saskatchewan Vince Bruni-Bossio, MBA, University of Saskatchewan Suresh Kalagnanam, PhD, CPA, CMA, CGA, University of Saskatchewan
Second Place Award ($1,000)
“Hula Island: Strategic Decisions Involving Costs and Benefits of Internet Advertising Programs” Stephen C. Hansen, Ph.D., Naval Postgraduate School Tom Albright, CPA, Ph.D., Naval Postgraduate School
Third Place Award ($500)
“Trust May Breed Trouble: Fraud Opportunities and Ethics at Saintly Church” Cecily Raiborn, CMA, CPA, CFE, Ph.D., Texas State University Janet B. Butler, CGMA, CITP, Ph.D., Texas State University Nathan H. Cannon, CPA, Ph.D., Texas State University Randall F. Young, Ph.D., Texas State University
Subscribers may use the cases for educational purposes. For IMA members, a subscription to IMA Educational Case Journal is automatically included in membership dues. Subscriptions are also available for nonmembers.
For questions about subscriptions and academic use, please contact:
IECJ Production Editor
(800) 638-4427, ext. 1732
From outside the U.S.: +1 (201) 474-1732
How do I access the IMA Educational Case Journal?
The cases are accessible by issue or by individual case. The searchable database is a spreadsheet that provides summary information for all cases.
How do I get Teaching Notes for the Cases?
Teaching Notes are available without charge to IMA Academic members and are housed in a secure location on LinkUp IMA.
› Teaching Notes (you will be prompted log in)
How can I submit a Case for Publication?
Case studies jointly authored by academics and practitioners are strongly encouraged. Real-world cases are strongly preferred, but fictional cases, especially those with some basis in practice, will be considered. International submissions are welcome and encouraged.
Case submissions are refereed by members of the IECJ Editorial Advisory and Review Board using a double-blind review process.
For questions regarding the IECJ, please contact:
IECJ Production Editor