Jump-start your Career
The CMA (Certified Management Accountant) program can help open the door to a dynamic career. The CMA credential focuses primarily on financial planning, analysis, control, and decision support, as well as professional ethics — the critical skills necessary to address today's complex and changing business environment. The CMA is tailor-made for accounting and financial professionals at all levels.
The CMA credential is...
- Focused—On the critical skills you use in business.
- Respected—Leading employers seek to hire and promote CMAs. Companies such as 3M, Alcoa, AT&T, Bank of America, Boeing, Cargill, Caterpillar, ConAgra, Hewlett-Packard, Johnson & Johnson, Microsoft, Procter & Gamble, and Verizon have CMAs in key management roles.
- Valued—CMAs earn higher compensation than noncertified professionals.
- Convenient—CMA Exams are offered in hundreds of locations worldwide.
As an IMA Student member, you can enroll in the CMA program for significantly reduced fees (see below).
Certified professionals earn more
The CMA is the certification that can deliver
a tangible return on your investment.
Professionals who hold some form of certification —Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Public
Accountant (CPA), or both (CMA and CPA) — can earn nearly $25,000 more in average total compensation annually than noncertified peers.*
Discounts for Student Members
Student/Academic Member Fees
Certification Entrance Fee (nonrefundable)
$190 per part
Exam Fee if a candidate registers for both parts at
the same time for the same testing window
$140 per part
*The Certification Entrance Fee covers:
- Credential review for educational qualification
- Credential review for experience qualification
- Access to LinkUp IMA for peer-to-peer networking
- Final Score Report
- CMA Assessment Tool for six months
- Printable Q&A electronic books
- Performance feedback reports for candidates who do not pass
- Personalized, numbered certificate for office display
- Congratulatory notification to employer or others if desired
The CMA Exam: How Well Does It Align with Typical Undergraduate and
Graduate Business Programs?
"I tell my students: taking the CMA exam is something you can do even before graduation. It gives you and your potential employer evidence that you’re well prepared and well qualified. The CMA sets you apart from others who have a college degree alone, and it’s something that is recognized and respected by a lot of potential employers."
Christine McKeag, CMA, CPA
Assistant Dean, Schroeder Family School of Business Administration
University of Evansville, Indiana
"The fact that I had recently completed the exam definitely came up in my interviews. It was a strong selling point that I think helped to set me apart. Pursuing my CMA shows not only that I have a specific skills set but also that I was able to prepare for the exam and accomplish a goal."
Amy White, CMA
"The CMA credential is a spotlight directed to anyone working in accounting and finance. To be certified as a CMA means that I’m a more knowledgeable and experienced professional. In addition, the certification gives me more confidence and adds to my clients’ trust, when they realize that they are dealing with a CMA."
Dr. Samir M.A. Hassan, Ph.D., CMA, CFM
"The CMA is very relevant to the work I do now as an auditor. Not only that, but I expect it also will be relevant when I pursue management opportunities in the auditing and corporate finance fields."
Joe Lavin, CMA
Internal Audit Supervisor
"I use my CMA body of knowledge every day. It comes naturally in the role of CFO because I need to look at things from many different angles, not just from the financial perspective. Management accounting skills are very much in demand as foreign and local companies reach out from the local marketplace and into more global arenas. The CMA body of knowledge is very valuable in this regard."
John K. Lau, CMA
Chief Financial Officer
To learn more about the CMA program for Student Members, contact:
Research and Academic Community Manager