IMA’s mission is to provide a forum for research, practice development, education, knowledge sharing, and the advocacy of the highest ethical and best business practices in management accounting and finance.
We do this by:
- Offering a rigorous, highly respected credential—the CMA—that recognizes and rewards expertise
- Building a peer network of professional relationships to share industry experience, access career opportunities, and make business contacts to last a lifetime
- Providing extensive education programs to advance professional knowledge, increase leadership potential, and satisfy CPE requirements
- Giving a voice to the profession with insightful and timely journals and newsletters
- Promoting leading-edge research and industry best practices
- Advocating for the profession in a challenging regulatory environment
IMA currently represents more than 80,000 accountants and financial professionals in business. The participation of each of our members makes the success of our mission possible.
Our vision is to be the resource for developing, certifying, connecting, and supporting the world’s best accountants and financial professionals within business.
About the Profession
The vast majority of accountants and financial professionals—80%, in fact—work inside businesses and organizations. Their work is essential to financial management, organizational development, and the achievement of strategic goals. While external auditing is a very visible part of the accounting profession, sound internal finance and accounting operations are essential for the proper functioning of any organization.
The roles and responsibilities of internal accountants and financial professionals include:
- Managing functions that are critical to business performance
- Supporting organizational management and strategic development
- Providing accurate and insightful information for better decisions
- Ensuring that organizations operate with integrity and proper governance
- Planning for the long-term and helping to ensure sustainability
- Safeguarding the interests of the organization and its key stakeholders
IMA provides advocacy and support for the professionals who perform these vital functions within businesses.